Imagine you cleared this room out. No chairs, no computers, no nothing.
Imagine I gave you $50,000 to outfit a new computer lab. What would you design? I want you to prepare a proposal.
Your lab might look like a Starbucks with a juice machine, couches and a few tables. It might have a bunch of round tables for people to collaborate. Your lab might have PCs, iMacs, Laptops, or iPads. Will it have a TV or a Smartboard? Should there be a rug? Posters? Ergonomic furniture?
What are some of my parameters for the computer lab?
- There should be seating for 25.
- You must budget for everything. This includes chairs, wifi hubs, printers, etc... You must budget for software.
- This is a "general purpose" lab for a high school.
What must you prepare?
- A spreadsheet outlining how you will spend the money.
- One page memo. Memo must start with the words "I recommend that...."
- A slideshow presentation to the class. You will present this to class.
- Drawings or video of proposed lab.
- You must turn in a paper copy of your proposal as well as post all work on your blog.
What will I look for?
- That you contribute to discussions and documents.
- Thoughtful design and research. Will the lab be effective? You should show evidence of research ("I emailed Microsoft", "I surveyed the English department")
- Accuracy and proper use of tools (google docs, spreadsheet formulas, etc...).
- Presentation is consistently designed. For example, your fonts on the spreadsheet match the fonts on your memo.
You can work in groups of 1-4 on this project. Some of you will enjoy working and collaborating. Some of you will work better by yourself.
I will set a due date soon, but I expect this will be due in two weeks.
I will nitpick this project like crazy. Be ready.