One of the most important skills we need to demonstrate is the ability to read and summarize complex information. The ability to communicate new ideas effectively to an audience can make you a valuable member of any organization. But it takes practice.
Like all of our work you need to think of the two questions: Who is my audience, and what do I need to say? For all of our summaries I ask that you write 50-100 words. Why? Because that is how we communicate now--in short messages. If you go to the front page of the New York Times or ESPN you will notice how these short blurbs are used to entice and attract readers. The ability to summarize is an essential component of web design.
Today's assignment is to choose ONE of the following articles and summarize it in your blog for your readers:
- GirlTalk: Talking has its limits.
- Athletic Scholarships: Expectations lose to Reality
- Gothic: You just can't Kill It
Be sure in your article to:
- Include a link to the original article. Find the correct link by clicking "Share" and copying the permalink.
- Keep your word count between 50-100 words.
- Title your entry effectively.
- Include your audience in your dicussion. Start a conversation so you get comments!
On a related note about "Bad things happen to ignorant people" you should all read this article before you decide what you post on your facebook account (or on someone else's!). Don't post, comment on, or upload anything unless you want it part of your public record forever. Also note that a professional image on these sites actually encouraged some people to get hired. You can use these sites to your advantage.