Today we will finish our introductory unit (test to come shortly).
Here is what bad design looks like according to Vincent Flanders: Check out the worst website ever and his checklist for how to ruin your website.
Top ways to ruin a website:
1. We've designed our site to meet our organization's needs (more sales/ contributions) rather than meeting the needs of our visitors.
2. It takes longer than four seconds for the man from Mars to understand what our site is about. Example.
3. Our site looks like we've never seen another web site. Example.
4. We use design elements that get in the way of our visitors.
5. Our site doesn't make us look like credible professionals.
1. Read the following article. Save it in your favorites. Web Usability Guidelines.
2. Skim this basic article about usability from Great Britian.
3. There is also this great site from the US Government.
Start a MS Word document. Please answer the following questions:
1. Define the following. The answers are in the readings.
- web usability
3. Find a website that you think has a high usability rating (the opposite of above). Provide a link to this website and explain why you think its usability rating is high. Possible examples: Bobby (use headphones), Swingset
Please post your answers on your blog.