This is also an exercise in communication skills and page design. Can you get your point across effectively? Do you know your audience?
1. Class Discussion about bias
- Barbie Doll website
- GI Joe website (collector site, real site blocked...)
- GIJoe Movie
- Legally Blonde: The Musical
Journalism Bias this is a longer article. Skim the whole thing (except the studies and theories of media bias section). Click on links that interest you.
3. Create a one page flyer in MSPaint that contains bias.
Girls: Boys are silly. Why can't they act right so I can get my work done? They should treat us with respect and not be so clueless.
Boys: Girls are silly. Why can't they act right so I can get my work done? They should treat us with respect and not be so clueless.
Think about your audience. Who are you writing it for? I am looking for two things. First, do you have good ideas and understand bias? Second, can you format the page well so you communicate these ideas? This is your first task in design.
This flyer must include the following:
- A clip art or free-non-copyrighted image. Using copyrighted images is illegal. You could make your own image if you want using Paint or Fireworks. Check the links on the right for clip-art images or go here or toFlickr and use creative commons search.
- At least three quotes (from real or imaginary people)
- Have fun with this, stay respectful and appropriate.
5. If you finish early you should start on the HTML Tutorials (link on right side of page).